Time & Location
Oct 29, 2021, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
About the Event
Fellows of Chemical Biology and POLY/PMSE are joining forces to host our first ever departmental lightning talks competition! The style is similar to the popular "Three Minute Thesis" competition. This event is open to all students in the Chemistry Department in any division. We will be providing goodie bags for all participants and audience members that can be collected at a future date. Additionally, we will have a judging panel who will decide on the top three presentations to receive awards! This event will take place via Zoom (we will share the Zoom link closer to the event date).
If you would like to attend or participate, please register here. Registration will be limited to 25 presenters. The judging criteria will be as follows:
Rules for presentation:
- A single PowerPoint slide is allowed, with no animations, animated images (e.g. gifs), outside video or music.
- The presenter is given 3 minutes to speak, and will be disqualified if exceeding the time limit.
- The judges’ decision is final.
Considerations for both judges and presenters:
Significance and Content
Did the presentation:
- Provide sufficient background of the topic?
- Address the significance?
- Flow in a logical sequence?
- Clearly describe key results?
- Consider conclusions, impacts, or outcomes?
Style and Communication
- Did the presenter show enthusiasm and capture attention?
- Did the presenter speak clearly and concisely?
- Was the PowerPoint slide effective in supporting the presentation?
- Was the presentation tailored to a non-specialist audience (avoid jargon or explain necessary terminology)?
- Did the presentation fall within the time limit?